About Me

My photo
PETALING JAYA, SELANGOR, Malaysia
Event and Street Photographer who leads by the Spirit of God and loves to capture the moment in life either in door or on the street.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Priestly Ordination at St John Cathedral

I am privilege to attend a Priestly Ordination at St John Cathedral, Bukit Nenas in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday, January 24th, 2013. 

The theme for the Priestly Ordination was “All things to all men. 1 Cor 9:22”.

The four Deacons that were ordained on that special occasion were Deacon Augustine Lee, Deacon Gregory Chan, Deacon Chin Sin Wee and Deacon Peter Anthoney.




Who were they before they answered, “YES, Lord! Here I Am!” to the calling of their Priestly Vocation?
It's a tough call to answer, 'Yes, Lord!' and I still remember once the Parish Priest of St Anthony, Sarikei not knowing that I am married asked me, "Do you want to join us?" I never answer his question but after a few days later I introduced my wife to him. I felt really trouble inside and later my wife said, "You should not be married." That's question also triggered me to learn more articles in CCC and you know why. That's history but God is always good to me as ever and I praise Him ever more.

For sure they were not Fishermen or Carpenter or Church persecutor as the Church Fathers of old.

Before we go into the event, let have a brief introduction of their life based on the slide during the ordination event.

Deacon Augustine Lee Yee Heng, a 40 year old parishioner of Church of Jesus Charitas, Kepong. He had worked in a housing development firm for 12 years and his last position was as the Personal Assistant to the Managing Director. He joined the Taiwan Catholic Regional Seminary and completed his Theology studies at Fu Jen Catholic University, Taiwan. Upon ordination as Priest, he will be posted to Church of Thomas Moore.

Deacon Augustine on old memory: “I recalled then how when we young a visiting priest had asked my mother to offer one of her sons to the Lord and my mum without any hesitation whatsoever told the priest that the Lord could have all of her three sons.”

Deacon Augustine on Seminary life:  Almost on the verge of tears, I told God that I wanted to go back. I did not want to continue (as a Seminarian) and as I prayed, I felt this heavy burden had been suddenly lifted from me. I was filled with sense of freedom and happiness and I knew then that the Lord would never forsake me.’

Deacon Jude Gregory Chan Weng Keong, a 46 year old parishioner of St Ignatius Church, the ONLY son of Mary and Joseph Chan.  A lawyer by profession and a former partner in a Kuala Lumpur based Law firm. A very familiar face in St Ignatius Church as he is active in SIAM, RCIA, Liturgy Ministry, taught Bible Knowledge and also involve in ASAYO. And not to forget his powerful melodic voice in the Choir group especially when singing the Psalm. He joined the Seminary in 2006 and completed his Religious Studies at Saint Francis Xavier Major Seminary, Singapore. Upon ordination as Priest, he will be posted to Church of Visitation, Seremban, Negeri Sembilan.

Deacon Gregory Chan on his intention: “I was the only child. Who is going to look after my parents?” “They expressed their intention of carrying and playing with their grandchildren. My parents was initially displeased when they heard my intention (to join the priesthood), but being the people of prayer, they did one thing which I always thank them for. They ask me to discern about it and that they themselves will discern with me.”

Deacon Gregory Chan on the call: “I didn’t think of the full import of the words, Know me, Follow me! I now realised that when he called. He just didn’t call a part of me. He called all of me. Tutos Tuus!

Deacon Peter Anthoney, a 38 year old who spent most of his employment time at Maxis and actively involved with the Church work at the Church of Our Lady of Loudes, Klang.

Deacon Peter Anthoney: I really did want to get married and have a family like most people. I heard an inner voice saying; “Can you leave everything and come with me?” I told God it was difficult to do that as I was earning well and life was good.

Deacon Peter Anthoney: “I have left my smaller family and joined the bigger family. I have to let go of all my personal desire, in order to take over God’s will, and I am glad I have chosen this course of direction.”

Deacon Chin Sin Wee, a 50 year old parishioner of St Ignatius Church. A family of 13 siblings and he is the only Catholic. He used to help his friends to do the social works at St Ignatius Church (SIC) which led to his baptism in 2004 at SIC. His pass employment included a volunteer counselor in Taiwan, a Refugee Coordinator in Thailand, a Human Resources Manager in Multinational Company in China and lastly he started his own business. He joined the Carmelites in 2006 and he obtained his Master in Theology.

Deacon Chin Sin Wee: “I was not even religious to start with. I was even contemplating if I should be baptised. I had a difficult time trying to understand Christ and Catholicism as I was used to reasoning and being contemplative. When I started praying I make a breakthrough and things begin to change.”

Deacon Chin Sin Wee: “All my life, my happiest times were not when I was earning good income but when I was helping others. It was Jesus’ pure love that led me to find what I was searching for always – beauty, goodness and truth.”
According to my record, I was also baptised in 2004 under the RCIA 2003-2004 batch. I have posted a Blog Entry on that event.

 That is who they were and their thoughts of life.

Let’s keep them in our prayer. If I am not mistaken, the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur won’t be any priestly ordination for the next 4-5 years. As such, please pray also for more vocation to the Priesthood.

Now let us move on to the images during the Priestly Ordination Event. As I was not an official photographer for the event and being obedient to the rule of the event, most of the images were taken from one perspective or one point of view. I have taken most of the images from my pew.  

My main aim here is to utilize the gear that I have and give you the images of the event the best can.

All images taken using Nikon D7000 with lens Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G, Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 VC and a few images with Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 non OS. (I really need the fast zoom lens 70-200mm f/2.8 for future indoor especially when I cannot move around or getting near to the subject.)


 Familiar faces from SIC.












 The Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur, His Grace Tan Sri Murphy Pakiam makes and entrance.



 Promise of the Elect. It's Fr. Gregory Chan's turn.

 Laying of hands on the Elect. Fr Philip Tan lays his hands on Fr. Gregory Chan.



 The newly ordained priest investitured with stole and chasuble.


 Fr. Gregory Chan's parent make an offering.

 Fr. Gregory Chan's parent presented their offering.

 Fr. Peter Anthoney's parent presented their offering.

 Samantha, a familiar face from SIC.

 I cannot see anything from my pew but the monitor on the wall shows the Elect were prostrate in complete surrender.


 
 



 Fr. Chin Sin Wee makes his 'thank you' speech in Mandarin.

 Fr. Gregory Chan makes his 'thank you' speech in English.



 
 The official photographer fro the Event.


 The newly ordained priest con-celebrated the Liturgy of the Eucharist.



 Presenting the newly ordained priest to the Church.

 Sign of Peace.

May God bless all of you. May His Spirit be always within you all the days of your life.
Amen.



No comments: