About Me

My photo
PETALING JAYA, SELANGOR, Malaysia
Event and Street Photographer who leads by the Spirit of God and loves to capture the moment in life either in door or on the street.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Photographer Journey-Part 3

My dear friends, I am back again as I felt bad to left you off in my previous post " A Photographer Journey-Part 2 with two unanswered questions:
  
What is coming my way? How I handle it?

 Before I tackle those question, let me share with you on how I hold the camera which was one of the most important thing that I learned in the beginning.


Why it is so important?


Once I was a Tae Kwon Do martial artist and instructor. One of the most important thing you need to learn is a proper stance to execute an effective punch or kick. A weak stance delivers no power and not effective.You lost part of the battle. With that mindset, I agree with most of the professional photographer that how you hold your camera play major role in your photography growth.

Benefit of proper camera holding:
1. Decrease Blur images.
2. Lower your camera shake threshold. Eg. 1/25s or lower. (try with non VR, VC or IS or OS) - very important when you do not have a tripod in low light.
3. Gives you confident even the surroundings are against you. (No tripod, moving vehicle, fast action, candid shots)
4. Makes you look like you know what you are doing as a photographer. Gives confident to the one who ask you or hire you to take their photos.
5. Gives you as a photographer a very good foundation as you are the second tripod.

I was so engrossed in this issue that I used to approach those in the street who do not hold their camera in a proper way. That's bad. I am too personal and it gets into me. Let the proper way of camera holding be one with you.

You may ask how is the proper way?

My advice is do some Google on "How to hold a camera? or Proper camera holding" Some may even guide you on how to breath when releasing the shutter. You may also check it out in YouTube for the video.


Now we tackle the questions: What is coming my way? How I handle it?

The first thing come my way was an invitation by my SIC Scripture Study' Facilitator, Brother Ken Cham who is also an Editor for St Ignatius Church Website to be part of his Pastoral Communication Ministry as one of their official photographer. At that time I just completed the Basic Photography Stage on my online e-course on About Photography with Liz Masoner. I do not reject him straight but I ask him for time to give him my answer.

In the meantime my wife and I were having our annual vacation to Krabi, Thailand on a 4 Days 3 Nights trip on September 24th to 27th. You may read more on this vacation in three of my previous post: Krabi-day-one, Krabi-day-two and Krabi-day-three
During the trip I used most of my time shooting practice and shooting practice and I almost screwed up my camera at one time.

Am I nervous? Very nervous and excited. I want to be the Church official photographer but I do not have what it takes to be one. I only know the basic: Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, White Balance, how to hold a camera, stopping blurring images, red eye, color. But deep inside my soul, I REALLY WANT TO BE THE CHURCH OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER. That desire and want drive me on.

It's been a month of my training in photography and on October 1st, I made my decision of joining the Church Pastoral Communication Ministry. My heart was full of joy and I thanks God for this opportunity. Deep within me hoping that they will give me a few more months to practice or a least to complete the Intermediate Level in my Photography e-course.

Do you think the Pastoral Communication Ministry wait for me? NO!
The next day, I was informed that I will be on duty as the Church Official Photographer on October 23th for the Children First Holy Communion.
You may read this in my post My-first-church-event-photograpghy. I was so nervous that my first few shots were useless and blur until I tell myself that I am chosen as an official photographer. I am chosen amongst many photographers in the Church and I have to give my very best with my limited knowledge in photography, zero skill and zero technique.

If I can do it with MS Excel, I believe I can do it with photography. During my early days of my work, I knew a bit of Ms Excel but I used that little knowledge to simplify my work to be more efficient until my boss consider that I am a MS Excel Expert.

When the event completed, my work were real bad but some of the Church member said it's good. I tell myself that I CAN DO BETTER and I WILL.


Later on November 4th 2011, I did an event photography for the company that I am working with as in my post DKSH-Deepa-Raya-2011. I was using my new lens AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8G which cost me MYR800 with filter. Here I do not have any pressure as I am doing it by my own. I consider this as part of my training and no one ask me to do it. No obligation, no responsibility.
The problem is, I like sharing and I shared those photos with our company management. Our management like my photos and I am marked as a photographer.

Something is coming from the company this time.

On November 25th, 2011 the management want me to take a very important event, the DKSH Fantree President Award 2010. This photos will be viewed by the whole group throughout the whole.
Now I am really screwed. I am on a cross road but my mouth is too fast to say, "YES, I WILL DO IT". And I added, "It's good for my training." These words are not acceptable by some looking at the important of the event and I am regret to say those words. I am really sorry. The truth is, I am giving my best with my limit knowledge of photography. The truth is, I am always love to learn, practice and practice until I make it right.
Here are some of those photos which I never post anywhere. They look horrible but that is history and I need those photos to grow.
Irene Chan receives the Award from Mr. Leonard Tan, our Leader. The photos is out of focus and wrong White Balance.
 Irene Chan's team that won the Award.
The Group photos for the Management team and the award recipients. The wall is reflective and I should have known that it will reflect my flash. Wrong white balance and bad group arrangement.

After this I did take photos for company event as in DKSH-25-years-service-award and DKSH-annual-dinner-dance-2011 and it's getting better.

Practice is very important in photography beside reading. Read and practice.



What else are important things that I learn during this time? 
1. Learn how to see
2. Learn how to compose and frame without camera.
I will tackle this question in my next post.


Final Advice:
1. Be focus and fixed on what you want. This will be your driving force.
2. Be your best with limited knowledge.
3. Grab any opportunity arise to help your growth. This can also be your driving force for growth.
4. Push yourself to the limit with reading and practice. If you can not do it by your own, go for photography workshop. 
5. Love and joy of what you are doing. Bring it to your heart. Have passion for the art.


Hope to see you again in my next posting. Good night.
Happy Shooting.....Read and Practice and Practice...let it be part of you.






No comments: